Sunday, July 10, 2011

Seer Council at 1k


Got a game in on Friday and tried my hand with a seer council.  This was my list:

HQ:
Farseer - ROW, Fortune, Singing Spear
(7) Warlocks - Enhance, Embolden, Wave Serpent, Stone, Twin Linked Shuriken Cannon

Troops:
10 Avengers - Wave Serpent, Stone, Twin Linked Shuriken Cannon
10 Storm Guardians - 2 Flamers, Wave Serpent, Stone, Twin Linked Shuriken Cannon

Heavy:
Fire Prism - Holo-Field, Stone

Total - 1k

I played against the guard player again and his list was largely the same as last week.  The only real difference was that he mounted his entire platoon squad in chimera's.  I got first turn and set up as seen above.  The game was spearhead and 5 objectives.  Ultimately the seer council was amazing.  My biggest error was not striking in unison with my units.  I spread out on first turn and ultimately that lost me the game.  I managed to set up my wedge with the seer council but rather than bring the rest of my forces up behind, for some reason I decided to camp objectives right off the bat.  Big mistake.

The Seer council essentially took on his entire list for three turns before they wiped.  The death tally was 3 tanks and 1 squad that they took out.  If I had my other units close by to support the seer council I likely would have done a lot better.  The game was super fun though.  Probably the funnest in a long time.  It was also the first time I had ever used a seer council.  

Man the seer council is great.  They cut through the guard lines like a hot knife through butter.  Next time I play I plan to beef them and my guardians up a bit and keep all my units close together.  I'm thinking something like this:

HQ:
Farseer - ROW, Fortune
(8) Warlocks - Enhance, Embolden, Wave Serpent, Stone, Twin Linked Shuriken Cannon

Troops:
9 Avengers - Wave Serpent, Stone, Twin Linked Shuriken Cannon
10 Storm Guardians - Warlock, Destructor, 2 Fusion Guns, Wave Serpent, Stone, Twin Linked Shuriken Cannon

Heavy:
Fire Prism

Total - 1k

With these changes I get some more staying power in my seer council with the extra warlock.  Now, that I have a warlock in the guardian squad, they become a far better utility squad that can clean up isolated tanks or squads.  The avengers are just there to put some anti-infantry shots in my attack to help support the warlocks.

I was amazed at how well the warlocks performed.  They took a ton of damage plus their extreme threatening nature forced my opponent to focus fire on them for three turns.   When I bring the army up above 1k I think I will add in another fire prism and a squad of wraithguard in a wave serpent.  I have a feeling that wraithguard will work out well when close to a seer council as it would present another big threat that my opponent has to deal with when I launch my attack.

Anyway, good game even though I was tabled.  As an aside, I've been slacking on the painting lately so hopefully my next post will be of some new painted mini's.  I want to try my hand at painting up some warlocks.



No comments:

Post a Comment